Payload server moving soon! Capture Point server down.

latest news in regards to the WA group/servers here.

Re: Payload server moving soon! Capture Point server down.

Postby jammitch! » Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:46 pm

I understand the Goldwater popularity but I like a larger rotation. Pretty much all the stock maps are fine by me.

I like 32 man but it's not a big deal.

Fast respawn is a big deal - I only get so many gaming hours and sitting around for 20 seconds to respawn isn't the best use of them. Kinda kills my suicide pyro routine too. :twisted:

Quake/UT sounds are ehh. Doesn't kill it for me, but I'd rather not have them than have them.

I think that two 24-man servers - one Goldwater, one full stock rotation - could work pretty well, if it helps get quickplayers in and keeps them full more regularly.

The most important thing is to not fracture the community, as that's the reason I'm here above all else.
jammitch!

Postby Horse » Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:30 pm

Its hard to populate a server to start with no matter vanilla or not, now we are switching IP#'s again so that hurts for a while but current settings from what I read seems to be what everyone enjoys. We get quickplay traffic already on a 32man server - but its gotta have 12 players in to start getting that which once we hit 12 it picks up quickly. There are so many vanilla servers that quickplay already targets with such a small amount of TF2 players compared to how many steam players online that I'm not sure it would be worth the effort or sucking up resources for - I won't play on them I know that as I'm just like Jammitch here - I want to play not sit in spawn watching everyone else play. The Quake sounds appears to be something most don't want option to turn off/on or whatever.

The thing now is just to help seed it when you can mostly evenings which has been no different than what it was back when we were all with ee but we all have other games we play and other things to do in life so that is just what it is.

I'm thinking with current responses we knock out the payload race maps - stick to Goldrush and badwater to shift thru unless there are over 25players then the options for the other maps show up in a vote.
Horse
Site Admin

Postby near979 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:34 pm

I agree with what everything beef said, and with every one else with the quake sounds, dont use em :P
near979

Postby geff_pH1 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:17 pm

I pretty much agree with the general consensus about the new maps. The first time I played on a server with a Quake announcer, I thought it was awesome, but it got old pretty quick. I think I would actually play on a vanilla server if we had one, especially if it were more than just GoldWater; I seem to do much better at 12v12 as opposed to 16v16, and respawn times aren't too big of an issue for me.

I'm guessing the stats will get reset when we change servers, and I was wondering if we have any control over the points given by weapons. The only thing I would have changed is The Original and The Phlog. Both of their point modifiers are 2, even though they are main weapons that are just as useful for killing as the Rocket Launcher and Flamethrower.
It is pronounced geff (hard g like goose), don't fuck it up.
geff_pH1

Postby PostageStamp » Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:38 pm

I think keeping the map list to Goldrush, Badwater, Barnblitz, Thunder Mountain and Hoodoo is a good idea. These are the most popular maps we run. I'm not a big fan of Thunder Mountain and Hoodoo but a lot of the regulars like them. The only thing I'd like to change is reduce the amount of time we spend on Goldrush. I know it fills the server but I only have a limited amount of time to play in the evenings :(

I like the Quake sounds but it seems like most of the people commenting here don't. If we can default them to off and allow people to turn them on manually I think that would be the best compromise. Otherwise it might cause people to leave.

I get the feeling that a second payload server will just be another empty server. Like the capture point server was most of the time. Why play on this stock payload server when you could play on the main payload (which will be filled with people)? Personally I a big fan of payload race and it seems like a lot of the regulars are not. I'd like to see the second server be payload race - but that's just me :D
PostageStamp

Postby Horse » Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:10 pm

PostageStamp wrote:I think keeping the map list to Goldrush, Badwater, Barnblitz, Thunder Mountain and Hoodoo is a good idea. These are the most popular maps we run. I'm not a big fan of Thunder Mountain and Hoodoo but a lot of the regulars like them. The only thing I'd like to change is reduce the amount of time we spend on Goldrush. I know it fills the server but I only have a limited amount of time to play in the evenings :(

I'll decrease goldrush a little - was in my plans to start with.

I like the Quake sounds but it seems like most of the people commenting here don't. If we can default them to off and allow people to turn them on manually I think that would be the best compromise. Otherwise it might cause people to leave.

I looked at the code and defaulting off isn't optional as they still force the sounds to be present so we can't do that - looks like we will just not use them since most don't like them.

I get the feeling that a second payload server will just be another empty server. Like the capture point server was most of the time. Why play on this stock payload server when you could play on the main payload (which will be filled with people)? Personally I a big fan of payload race and it seems like a lot of the regulars are not. I'd like to see the second server be payload race - but that's just me :D

Someone said to me earlier that making another payload just splits the group - what few we already have to seed a server so that made perfect sense. Doesn't sound like a good idea to make another server we just can't fill up when we can usually do it each night in the one we have now. So with that making another payload even just vanilla is a waste of resources ( as in group seeding members) when we can all play together and have fun together on a single server that we are able to keep populated now.

geff_pH1 wrote:
I'm guessing the stats will get reset when we change servers, and I was wondering if we have any control over the points given by weapons. The only thing I would have changed is The Original and The Phlog. Both of their point modifiers are 2, even though they are main weapons that are just as useful for killing as the Rocket Launcher and Flamethrower.
[/quote][/quote]

stats won't change just from a server switch...I'll look at the modifiers for the original and phlog.
Horse
Site Admin

Postby ЩĄ | KĄȤ » Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:20 pm

I was thinking of resetting stats sometime in April though, just to clean things up... I just haven't made up my mind on it as of yet. I would love feedback on it!

As far as Map Rotation we are thinking of starting it off as Badwater/Gold rush ONLY, at least to begin with. Then maybe a week or so later adding more maps to the rotation and seeing how that goes.
ЩĄ | KĄȤ
Site Admin

Postby Sinbearer » Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:51 am

One suggestion I have in mind for the main server is the 'Player of the Week', its something we used to do in the old clan that kept some players who are new to the server around (Pink Dildo/Dr. Simmons rubbed it on my face, the award mind you for around a week or so) so by that logic, if we see a guy who's doing well and has been playing for 5 straight nights it might help to do some recognition?

Other than that, according to my friend, those quickplays tend to go active around the afternoon during the weekends (1-5pm PST) so would it be wise to seed the vanilla servers at those times?
Sinbearer

Postby Training Wheels » Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:36 am

I am also not a fan of the Quake sounds or regular respawn times, since I tend to stick my face in front of things a lot (especially to try to save a medic). As far as map rotation, I like the voting system, but I think Badwater and Goldrush should always be on the list. That way we can add in some other options (Barnblitz, Hoodoo, maybe Thunder Mountain), but there would always be the option to vote for Badwater or Goldrush if that is where people want to go. I've also played on a couple of other servers where they use numbers 6-0 for map voting instead of 1-5, so people don't accidentally vote for something when they are trying to switch weapons at the end of a round. I kind of liked that feature.

I think Horse is working on this, but I also feel like the autobalance feature could use some work. It seems like I get autobalanced with 2 min left in the round, or just in time for the round to end, consistently. If things are unbalanced, it should kick in sooner, or just wait until the round is over (with a message saying "autobalance detected: teams will scramble at the end of round" so people know it's coming and hopefully don't rage quit).
Training Wheels

Postby Horse » Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:22 pm

Doing a stat clean up for those that are not active is prob due - however just erasing what those of us have built up as far as points,time played etc etc I'm not sure would be a wise move - we already reset them when we started over from ee.

most want to see more than just goldrush/badwater, I wouldn't care if we just played those but I want to make sure we have some variety but perhaps the voting is just causing issues, maybe we just set the rotation of 5 stock maps as mentioned above and let em roll and you play thru them.

as for the autobalance feature the settings do currently protect the top 8 players from autobalance (going to increase this up to 12 as I type), engies and those with immunity are or should be immune (if engies are getting switched I need to know). I just increased the time in seconds to protect a client from autobalance if they have recently capped a point, defended a point or destroyed a sentry so that should help those that are more aggressive on the attacking or defending side.

Remember those that do donate to the server get AFK and auto balance immunity :) I'd like to give it to all our members but its a perk and we gotta pay the bills some how :p
Horse
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to News and Announcements